Harvey Littleton

The American Studio Glass movement began with two glass workshops held at the Toledo Museum of Art in the spring of 1962. The workshops were taught by artist and educator Harvey K. Littleton (b. 1922), the son of a Corning Glassworks research scientist, who, along with scientist Dominick Labino, introduced a small furnace built for glassworking that made it possible for individual artists to work in independent studios. Glass programs were then established by Littleton at the University of Wisconsin in and by Littleton’s students Marvin Lipofsky and Dale Chihuly, at the California College of the Arts and the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), respectively. Upon retirement from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1977, Littleton moved to Spruce Pine, North Carolina, where he currently resides.

RECENT NEWS

The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design launches “Craft City”

The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design (CCCD) debuts a new program series this summer that honors Asheville as “Craft City.” At three outdoor pop-up studios this summer (July 7, August 4, and September 1) people of all skill levels and backgrounds can make a take-home craft under the guidance of a visiting artist.

Read More...



VISIT: The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design | 67 Broadway Street, Asheville, NC 28801 | map it | Phone: 828.785.1357 Fax: 828.785.1372 | email us | Gallery hours: Tue - Sat 10-6